In the XT2’s new out-of-the-box configuration, you cannot save files as JPG + Raw. To enable this feature, update the firmware:
- On the XT2, insert a memory card in both slots. (Proprietary formatting not necessary.)
- On your computer, go to the Fujifilm upgrade site to download the latest version and copy it onto the first memory card.
- On the XT2, to view the version number and to upgrade the firmware, press and hold the DISP/BACK button and flip the swtich on.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- Once the upgrade is complete, the XT2 menu will offer the JPG + Raw option.
- Interestingly, the Raw file is saved to card 1 and the JPG to card 2.
On your computer, to view Raw files, you may also need to upgrade your Fujifilm SilkyPix Raw File Converter to the latest version. At the time of my upgrade, it was EX 2.0, version 220.127.116.11. The upgrade is free on the Fujifilm site: Windows — Raw File Converter EX 2.0 Ver.18.104.22.168. Macintosh — Raw File Converter EX 2.0 Ver.22.214.171.124.
The photos below, taken in low light (ISO 10,000), compare the JPG version against the Raw-JPG version. The Raw-JPG has a much larger file size (28.4 MB to 13.4 MB). It also has a much higher dpi (300 to 72). Still, in photos of this size, the differences are negligible.